Miss Hello Yellow
My name’s Sam, or Miss Samantha to the little people. I have a BA in Literature from CSULB, and an MLIS from SJSU. I moved to North Carolina from California in 2015 and work as a Youth Services librarian at a public library in Liberty.
Hello Yellow Room was created because reading is primarily a solitary activity, but libraries are for sharing in the solitary. The things we love are always made better by communal worship of shared obsessions.
I have healthy obsessions, none of which will be detailed on this blog. I also have unhealthy obsessions, all of which will be listed here:
- the color yellow
- vinyl records, which I collect
- succulents, which remind me of California
- Starbucks, which reminds me of California
- really good Mexican food, which reminds me of California
- sprawling urban decay
- the smell of grapefruit, but not the taste of grapefruit
- reading, writing, editing, and devouring literature & children’s picture books
- pretty fish
- cooking things in the morning while listening to shoegaze
- and children’s education
So if you’re here and reading this, it must mean that you can relate to some if not all of the above. Or you clicked something really weird on accident and ended up here. Either way, send me your opinions on the best Mexican food in North Carolina, because I’m at a loss here and the need is real.
Mr. Matt Krab
My name is Matthew James Palozzi and I received my high school diploma from Pacifica in Garden Grove California and passed multiple semesters of flag football at Cypress Community College :/ I work full time in a butcher shop in Southern California. A man of multiple talents but a master of none.
My hobbies and interests include but are not limited too:
* Intersectional Feminism, because duh
* Listening to music
* Collecting records
* Amatuer writing
* Comic books/super heroes, a fulfillment of my hero complex
* Sports (Denver Broncos, LA Lakers, Anaheim Angels)
* Collecting tattoos, a total of nine so far which mostly consist of pop culture references and friend tattoos
* Movies, especially of the horror and Sci-fi genres
* Nature, which there isn’t enough of in suburbia
Favorite authors: Kurt Vonnegut, Stephen King, J.R.R. Tolkien, J.K. Rowling
Favorite musicians/bands: Frank Ocean, The White Stripes, The Beatles, The Black Keys, Incubus, Explosions In The Sky, Brand New, Run The Jewels, Breakbot, Kendrick Lamar, Childish Gambino
Favorite people: Samantha, Andrew, Kyle, Kristin, Conor, Brian, Bernie Sanders, Bill Murray, Nana, that one security guard who looked like Uncle Phil from the Fresh Prince that gave me my spot back in the front of line at the Incubus secret show in 2009 at the Echoplex
Desert island movies(the ones I’d take if stuck on a desert island, not ones that take place on a desert island): The Shining, Halloween, Tombstone, The Life Aquatic: with Steve Zissou, The Thing, Blade Runner, Drive.
Amazing Contributors & Guest Writers
Jeselyn Sara Pan is a children and teen librarian in Mesa, AZ and a lifelong passionate reader and writer. Check out her early literacy/homeschooling/ book review/library storytime blog at http://momandauntie.blogspot.
Savvy Bowen (pictured on right) is a recent graduate of Greensboro College majoring in English with a minor in Creative Writing. She is a journalist as well as a photographer, currently accepting clients. Check out her academic achievements, editorials and creative works on her blog Savvy & Life After College.